Monday, October 23, 2006

I imagine that the harsh criticism of this movement will be something I process continually throughout my study. I have only read a handful of critical essays so far, but the thing that bothers me about them is that they seem so full of legalism and bitterness. A shortsightedness that seems to indicate that if a movement disagrees with yours in any way then it must be from the Devil. Interesting thought, I suppose, but one that has annoyed me from as far back as I can remember.

I can not claim to have the understanding or knowledge to forcefully state what God is or is not capable of doing. And while there are many out there smarter than I ( a lot smarter!) I would venture to say that they, too are limited in this type of certain knowledge. In the writings belonging to these critics I find a lot of judgment - statements claiming that the Azusa outpouring must be of the Devil because of the type of people it attracted. Surely a Holy God would not fill such an unholy people with His presence.

Uh-oh. I think we are stepping on the very toes of Jesus, himself, when we make statements like that. In fact, they sound just a little too much like the accusations thrown at Jesus while He was here on earth. It seems that He spent an unusual amount of time rubbing elbows with the socially unacceptable and worse. Not only did He not try to hide the fact that He spent time with these people, but He often used their faith as an example to the religious leaders. Ouch!

I haven't done enough research to fully make my own opinions on all that happened at Azusa, but if they were attracting losers, addicts and sinners I tend to think they might have been on the right track.

It made me sad to read the critical writings of great church leaders in regard to the Azusa Street outpourings. It reminded me that we, as humans, are often too quick to discredit things that God may be doing because we don't agree with the theology behind it. Coming from a former Religion student, that may sound strange, maybe inconsistent, but I don't think it is. I believe theology is important. We each need to know what we believe about God. We need to know why we believe it and be able to defend it, own it. However, I also believe that we must be humble enough to understand two (2) things.

1) We are not God, nor are we - at this time - infinite. We are limited, finite creatures waiting for the eternal. While I know what I believe, I also understand that I could be wrong. I know, highly unlikely! hehe

2) God's grace goes beyond what we know or understand. Just because our theology may be off in a few areas, doesn't mean that God will not bless us as we strive to fulfill the great commission. Chances are, none of us have the "right" theology yet God has chosen to use us anyway. I personally do not believe that you have to speak in tongues to be filled with the Holy Spirit and work for His Kingdom in power, but I recognize that God still works powerfully in those who do believe that way - especially if they are seeking God's Kingdom first and foremost.

I am also learning that while God does not have to wait for people to be sold out to Him to work through them. It certainly helps to choose to open our lives to God's cleansing and power, but occasionally He steps in with His infinite, uncontainable self and works through people anyway. I don't know why. Maybe he knows the depths of our hearts and can see that a person desires to make steps toward God but doesn't feel that they can? Maybe He just wants to show them how much He loves them even while they are covered in "sin-mud."

Okay, this one wasn't short. But let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Derin Beechner (Durk Niblick) said...

"Surely a Holy God would not fill such an unholy people with His presence." I can't agree with you more concerning this sarcastic statement. Jesus came to heal the sick and save the lost. That is the cool thing about God, He does care about the unholy people of this world-His world, enough to fill them with His holiness! He heals the sick. He seeks the lost. He clothes the naked. He cleans those covered in "sin-mud" (I like that). He marries the prostitute and elevates her to beloved. He restores the vilest amung us. And sometimes that was me.

What a great point in #2. God works in spite of our religious convictions and differences! I have to believe that God works in the lives of folks that believe differently from me-even if I think they are wrong. Because I believe that God worked in my life when I believed differently and when I was wrong. And still does.

Derin Beechner

Monte said...

Hi Jeannie!
I'm becoming more convinced that the essential conflict of Jesus' life was his conflict with religious people. We've made it into a Jewish v. Christian thing, which is much more comfortable to us than its essence: an ultra-religious v. outsiders thing. This makes a lot of the dramas of Jesus' life really close to home!