Monday, October 23, 2006

Hmmm. It seems part of the controversy around the Azusa Street Outpouring stems from the number of "works of the Spirit" there are. Is it only salvation? Is it two works of Salvation and Sanctification? Is it three works of Salvation, Sanctification and Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

I used to believe strongly that there were two works. Salvation and Sanctification. I remember one of my college professors saying that Salvation is where God gives you all of Himself and eternity in Heaven and Sanctification is where you give God all of yourself and then He is able to work through you in power. Silly me always thought that being filled with the Spirit was part of Sanctification. Once you let God flush you out, He is more free to work in you in power.

In some ways I still believe along those lines, but more and more I am starting to think that there are probably infinate "works of the Spirit." I still think that the two steps of choosing to follow Jesus and then making the decision to trust Him with your life are key. I just think that it takes a lot of God working through us throughout our lives to allow that to happen.

Some say that we should not build our theology around our experience, but sometimes I do. And I have found that even after having made the decison to trust God to run my life, I still sometimes react in fear. There have been many times God has reminded me to, once again, "Stay in Jerusalem" until the Holy Spirit falls fresh. I can't always depend on yesterday's filling to take me through today with power.

No comments: